Kenny Anderson

Kenneth Anderson was a footballer, who was sadly typical in one respect. He was one of the many players to succumb young to tuberculosis, the scourge of mainly , although in Anderson's case not entirely, of the Scottish working-classes at the time. And he was unusual in that he was a goalkeeper in a Queen's Park team that, for the Scotland team at least, had largely produced out-field players.    

Anderson was born in The Gorbals in 1875. He died by Queen's Park in 1900, aged just twenty-five. In the meantime in a much short life he had played initially for Third Lanark, then for Queen's Park and three time in Scottish blue, including in 1898 against England and always an amateur.

The son of a well-to-do printer he would follow his father into the trade. And he would grow with the family moving further and further into Glasgow's burgeoning, southern suburbs. First in Kinning Park, where they were neighbours of the Gulliland family, including future team-mate William and then actually overlooking the Queen's Park itself. 

In the meantime the footballing Kenny had by eighteen first joined Third Lanark for a season at nearby Cathkin Park, the second Hampden, and then for four more Queen's Park at the third Hampden up the hill. The Scottish doyen, due to professionalism, was then still playing outwith the league but nevertheless he was noticed at both club and international level. That was before his health began to decline and he travelled abroad for a cure. But it was to no avail. Two year after his final competitive football match, the 1898 Glasgow Cup won against Rangers, he passed away. He never married and is buried along with family in Cathcart Cemetery in a grave needing restoration.  

© Copyright. All rights reserved.

We need your consent to load the translations

We use a third-party service to translate the website content that may collect data about your activity. Please review the details and accept the service to view the translations.