Richard "Dick" Hunter

Yoker was a club formed in 1876 as football in Scotland exploded and Dick Hunter must have become involved with it in stages. His back-ground from that of his father was pubs. He was born in 1865 at Ardencaple Toll by Rhu in Dumbartonshire, his father, from New Kilpatrick, a Spirit Dealer, a publican. The Ardencaple Hotel is still there to this day. But the family moved on by 1871 presumably to another licensed premises on Storegate not in New but Old Kilpatrick. The street is no longer there replaced by The Glen Lusset pub, perhaps the descendent of the Hunter's place. But more pertinently Storegate was just a couple of hundred yards from the old Erskine Ferry, since replaced by the bridge and by 1881 the family had crossed the Clyde and was running a bar on the opposite bank.

By then sixteen year-old Dick Hunter was working as Commercial Clerk for a sugar broker and had already thrown his footballing lot in with Yoker four miles and three train stops up the river from the ferry's north side. He began to turn out for the club that year and was also club secretary. In fact he, a full-back, would continue to play for it until 1887, when the club folded to be replaced amost immediately by present-day Yoker Athletic. By then he had been noticed. He had played for Renfrewshire. In fact he was given a trial by Burnley, which came to nothing but returned not to Yoker's replacement. Instead he signed for St. Mirren, staying with the Paisley club for five seasons. It was whilst he was there that he was selected for Scotland twice, in 1890 and capped and in 1891 but having to drop out, retiring fully in 1892, presumably through injury since by then he was only twenty-seven.

He had in the meantime continued to run The Ferry Inn at Erskine, eventually taking it over from his father, and also in 1891 had married in Glasgow a Glasgow-lass, Margaret Waddell. They were to have five children, all born in Scotland, but at some point after 1902, with the Erskine lease terminated, the family took a decision to head South. They went to Merseyside, where Dick Hunter would own and run a Billiards Hall. That is until his early death in 1910 at the age just forty-five at Liverpool's Northern Hospital with family home across the water in Birkenhead. He would be survived by Margaret, who would continue to run their business, raise their family as  and herself pass away in 1945 in Tranmere, Tranmere Rovers of course being The One-Eyed City's football team.       

© Copyright. All rights reserved/Todos los derechos reservados.


Any use of material created by the SFHG for this web-site will be subject to an agreed donation or donations to an SFHG appeal/Cualquier uso del material creado por SFHG para este sitio web estará sujeto a una donación acordada o donaciones a una apelación de SFHG.

We need your consent to load the translations

We use a third-party service to translate the website content that may collect data about your activity. Please review the details in the privacy policy and accept the service to view the translations.